Friday, June 6, 2014

Day 10 St. Mary, Montana to The Crossing Resort, Icefield Parkway

Border crossing and riding 30 miles in the rain...the wrong way



Once on our way from St. Mary's Red Eagle Motel we headed north to the border crossing at Chief Mountain. We were taking our time and as we rounded a curve two moose were standing in the road. They quickly fled and Kat didn't have time to get a picture.  Note to self...those piles of manure in the road did not come from cattle.





As we approached the Canadian border the customs officer waved us on up and asked for our passports.  I told him our passports were in my wife's purse and she would have to get them out.  He sorta chewed on me a bit for not having it out already.  (take note, there were no other people behind us).  I explained to him that I hadn't known what to expect.  In Mexico we have to go in, sign a bunch of papers, and give up some cash.
He said this isn't Mexico and broke out in a grin. He had roughed me up enough.








He asked if we were bringing any guns, illegal drugs, knives, etc. into Canada.  No on everything except the knives.  Yes, I have a pocket knife and a small machete.   I expected to be grabbed off the bike and thrown in some cold desolate Canadian prison for the machete.  He just asked if we were expecting to go off into the bush, and I told him, no, just doing some camping along the way.

He spotted Kathy's camera around her neck and they got into a big discussion about photography, Australia, nature, wild animals, and the Ozark mountains.

Thirty minutes later he turned his attention back to me, don't be speeding, watch out for wildlife on the roads, you don not want to hit a moose, do ya ?   He finally wished us a great trip and waved us on into Canada.



We traveled up Hwy  22 "The Cowboy Road" heading north toward Hwy 1 that would take us into Banff followed by the Icefields Parkway. It's a great road and before long we see our first bear. As I pass by, the bear even stands up to get a better view of the BMW.  When I turn around for another look at the bear he politely declines and heads for the woods. I guess he'd seen enough of our bike.





The hat fence




I've had intermittent trouble with my GPS, or my GPS has had trouble with me during the trip. Now it decides to keep turning itself off.  Although I should be on Hwy 22 the traffic has dropped off to nearly nothing.  It begins to rain.   I travel onward hoping for some clue that I'm on the right road.  Finally a highway sign.  Hwy 66.  DOH !!

Turning around we retrace our path and find the road I had missed. I had made a 30 mile error in the rain. Kathy spots a coffee shop so we go in for shelter and to warm up.  I've never been a fan of coffee shops and their overpriced cups of coffee, but, today I love them.



Warmed up on caffeine we strike out on Hwy 1 for Banff and a hailstorm.  Not big hail, but it sounds like someone is playing the drums on my helmet. The storm doesn't last long and we are in Banff.  A charming little tourist mecca that attracts 2.5 million people a year.  It is  nice and on this day not crowded. People are out and about doing touristy things like jogging, hiking, and eating.



We do none of these but gas up and head for the Icefields Parkway.  Mile after mile of God's majestic beauty surrounds us. Towering peaks covered with snow, awesome views, lakes, and rivers roll by until it's evening when finally worn out we stop at The Crossing Resort.  Kathy cooks our supper and the day is finished. Well, not really. When we turn off the lights at 11 PM it's still daylight ...













  

No comments:

Post a Comment