Sunday, June 22, 2014

Day 27 Bellingham, WA to Lewiston, ID

North Cascades and ticket sales

The ferry will dock at Bellingham at 5 AM.  We wake to the sound of the overhead intercom waking passengers up at 4 AM.  So by 4:30 we are packed and ready to be on our way.  Finally the call is made for entry into the cavernous parking area and we unshackle the GS and away we go.  

The easiest route out of Bellingham is take highway 11 north over to I-5.  The best way out of Bellingham is 11 south along the coast.  We take the best.  11 south takes us through neighborhoods where the Pacific meets their backyards.  Small cottages hanging on bluffs and driveways that appear to drop into the ocean.  We can see the early morning fisherman already out, other than that we have the highway to ourselves.

Further south we take Hwy 20 east toward the North Cascades National Park. This nice little road passes through several small communities and follows the Skagit River all the way up to Ross Lake in the park.

We climb in elevation as we enter the park, once again snow capped peaks and plummeting waterfalls greet us.  However this park is not very big, at least in highway miles traveling through it.  Soon we are out of the park and traveling along Hwy 20 through rolling mountains.

We pass by the Grand Coulee Dam and stop at an overlook to view it. Finished in 1942 it is the largest electric producing dam in the United States.

Pressing on toward Spokane we hit straight highway.  The speed limit is 60 on this smooth stretch of road and I let the GS run, knocking down mile after mile.  Suddenly, oncoming traffic pulls to the shoulder, I check my side mirror and see blue lights.  

Pulling over at the first convenient safe spot I stop and await the Washington State Trooper.  When he approaches he ask for license and registration.  I hand him my license and open my tank bag for the registration which of course is not there.  It was there, I had to have it available when I was in Canada.  Now it's not. I check everywhere.  The trooper says he's impressed with all the pockets on the tank bag.  I take that as a good sign, I am mistaken.  He goes to his car and checks for my registration,  I guess I'm way over due for a ticket because that is what he hands me when he comes back.  79 MPH in a 60.  He has reduced it down to 70 in a 60 which will help a little.  You can pay online he says with a helpful smile and with that he is gone.

Off again, speed somewhat diminished, we head toward Spokane.  We hit Taco Bell and talk to a young man that would love to do what we are doing.  You gotta take that first step and set a goal.  

After leaving Spokane, Washington we are soon in Idaho with lots and lots of rolling farmland.  One of motorcycleroads.com best roads is on our route. The Spiral-Highway-to-Heaven drops rapidly into Lewiston, Idaho off of Hwy 95.  It does not fail to impress, we meet four high-end sports cars on the way down this wonderful road.

Once in Lewiston we settle in for a good nights sleep.  466 miles and a ticket to ride behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment