Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Day 18 Fairbanks, AK to Cantwell, AK (near Denali National Park)

New tire on, time to put more gravel in our travel.



I was at the Harley, BMW, Polaris, Victory, Honda, and Stihl dealer ( The Outpost Alaska ) at 8:58 AM, waiting for the doors to be unlocked so I could get a new tire. At 9:15 I was walking out the door with a new K60 for the bike.  I saw my Harley heroes there also. They were getting their bikes serviced before they departed for a trip up the Dalton hwy.

I put the tire in the back seat of Andrey's car, picked Kathy up at the hotel, and away we went, 100 miles back to Delta Junction.  There at Interior Diesel, the owner Adam McNabb and Andrey quickly had my tire mounted and we were on our way.







We headed south from Delta Junction down Hwy 4, also called the Richardson Highway.  A great road with great views of beautiful mountain ranges and rivers.  Along this highway you can also see the Alaskan pipeline.







At Paxson we turn west on the Denali hwy, another road with great views, and 110 miles of gravel road. And rain. Not heavy rain, just a light rain most of the way with a little hail thrown in.  Lots and lots of washboard road, potholes, crosswinds, and mud.  I loved every mile !!  Not much wildlife though.  We did see one eagle soaring along the roadside and a distant caribou.











We filled our gas tank and our stomach's at Tangle River Inn.  This remote outpost had good food and great gasoline.  I know it was great gasoline because it was $4.69  a gallon. Regular.



That handy dandy hockey puck...




Tired and wet we checked in at the Backwoods Lodge near Cantwell, AK, ready to see Denali tomorrow, and then push South toward where it all began,  Anchorage.



No comments:

Post a Comment