Sunday, June 1, 2014

Day 5- Keystone, SD to Spearfish, SD

304 miles to go 68 miles



   Keystone, SD was our abode for the night.  We woke to beautiful sunshine and the road beckoning.  After having that "delicious" continental breakfast we rolled out to ride 16A south from Keystone. This road is crooked with switchbacks and corkscrews.  It has three tunnels that you can see Mt. Rushmore through.





(I had wrote this blog a few nights ago but it failed to upload and also failed to save. Since I'm so far behind here is the link to Facebook for today's pictures.  Keystone to Spearfish   )

After 16A we headed toward Rapid City where we caught Hwy 44 down to the Badlands National Park.
We went via gravel road on the southwest side and saw quite a few buffalo and pronghorn.  The views were awesome and it's amazing how the land can turn from luscious grasslands to eroded wasteland so quickly.







We hit the interstate for our return leg of this loop and stopped at the famous Wall Drug at Wall, SD. Can you say tourist mecca.  Lots of knick knack paddy wacks here and some great food.



Took a quick look at Sturgis, not to impressive. It doesn't have the charm like most of the small tourist towns have around here. Hot Springs, Custer, Keystone, Lead, Spearfish, and Deadwood all are nicer looking towns to me. But none of them draw in 300,000 bikers either.







Heading to Spearfish I wanted to go through Spearfish Canyon. So to do that I had to go through the small towns of Deadwood and Lead. In Lead my GPS got the best of me and looped me around until I had to dig out my cell phone for directions. Finally after wasting 30 minutes I found out where I was and we headed to Spearfish Canyon.







Spearfish Canyon did not fail to impress.  The road here follows the Spearfish Creek through the narrow canyon.  Also in the canyon are Roughlock Falls where a scene from "Dancing With Wolves" was filmed.
Which might explain why the Spearfish Lodge near there wanted 175 bucks for a room, no thanks.











On to Spearfish to spend the night.  68 miles from where we started this morning but took us 304 miles to make the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment