Monday, June 9, 2014

Day 15 Teslin, YK to Dawson, YK 453 miles

  



After this post had been postponed for two years I thought I'd attempt to remember this day. Thanks to Kathy's pictures I've sorta remembered that long day in the saddle.

We left Teslin and headed still further north by northwest.  We paralleled Lake Teslin for quite aways, very pretty which probably accounted for the numerous bicyclist and hikers on the highway.   





Also on the highway were motorcycles lots of them...I figured they were having a Whitehorse biker rally.

  

We entered the city of Whitehorse and found a really good restaurant for lunch...McDonalds.  At Mickey D's I spotted this which explained the bikes on the highway...Prostate Cancer Awareness !




With my bike being so top heavy it leaned precariously on it's kickstand, to the point I was afraid it would turn over.  Stopping at a nice sporting goods store we found a hockey puck, which we used to slide under the kickstand.  Problem solved !  I had to run to Wal-Mart for a headlight bulb and found a bonanza of hockey pucks.  Me and Kat had an impromptu hockey game in the aisles...





It sorta dawns on you that it get's cold up here, and the snow piles up.  I've never had to plug my car up or drive to Wal-Mart in one of these.




Wal-Mart doesn't stock these either at home,,,,do they ??



Finished with our shopping we mounted up and headed north to Dawson, YK.


We rolled on north toward Dawson enjoying the countryside and solitude.  I couldn't imagine walking here to seek out the gold that was hidden deep in the earth or hiding in a mountain stream.  








When we finally arrived late in the evening, a quick search of the town revealed a shortage of hotel rooms.  With the wind howling, finally securing a room was like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.












No comments:

Post a Comment