Sunday, June 29, 2014

Day 31 Price, Utah to Moab, UT and Arches National Park

Who turned on the heat ?


After the ride yesterday through heat and city traffic we were slow to rise this morning.  Walking outside to load the bike I was reminded that it's now hot outside even in the morning.  Just a few days ago I was wearing  an insulated lining in my jacket but now I'm sweating.

After a quick breakfast we head south to Moab.  Red rock country.  The landscape becomes a hodgepodge of canyons and rock formations.  It is hot, nearly 100 degrees by the time we reach Moab.

A month in cooler climates has me hugging the shade as Kathy shops for knick knack patti wacks in the many stores catering to tourists, i.e., us.  Some businesses have water misters to help cool potential shoppers.  I stand under them like a pig in slop.  Aaahhhh.

I want to go see the Arches National Park, but not in this heat.  We decide to spend the night here at Moab and get to the park earlier to avoid having a heat stroke.

The next morning we head to Arches National Park.  The traffic is not bad and we are able to see the arches pretty easily from the bike.  A lot of people were hiking ,walking right up to the monsters of sandstone.  My view from the bike was good enough for me, and Kathy.  Had we had proper hiking boots, and 20 degree cooler weather we might have been a bit more adventurous.

I still don't know why the park rangers wouldn't let us ride the bike up to the arches....

The park itself is a beautiful place. The folds of sandstone, towering monoliths, and of course the arches all painted various shades of red is definitely worth seeing.

After seeing the park we head for higher ground and cooler weather.
Price to Moab
Arches National Park




No comments:

Post a Comment